Thursday, August 18, 2011

Be careful not to become that which you despise.

Lately I've been volunteering at an elementary school and my daily routine consists of working with an autistic kindergardener. It got to a point where I was getting upset with all of the people who were judging him. "poor little guy", "I feel sorry for him, no one knows what he's thinking". Were just a few of the remarks I was hearing on a daily basis. And I was furious. He is one of the smartest kids I have ever worked with in my life and because of society and the perceptions he is labeled as special needs. Here's where I really get fired up. Special needs? Just because he thinks differently doesn't mean he's different from everyone else. I'm horrible at art, does that mean I'm a "special needs" art student. I didn't think so. And in all of this being upset God put in my life someone who could make me step back and evaluate my situation. My good friend Kyle told me, be careful not to become that which you despise. Wow. God moment right there, by judging the people who judged this autistic child I was acting exactly the same way they were. Life is hard, and it's hard not to judge. Yet all we can do is lead by example...

No comments:

Post a Comment